2016 may have been a dumpster fire of sorts, particularly in the political ring, but you can’t deny some of the awesome things we got too. For one, it’s been a great year in genre entertainment. GLAAD took note of plethora mediums that highlighted positive representation of the LGBTQ community and announced their nominees for the 28th annual GLAAD Media Awards this morning. Possibly one of the strongest categories this year is in comics with 10 series nominated. That five more than last year.
And the nominees for Outstanding Comic Book are:
- All-New X-Men, by Dennis Hopeless, Mark Bagley, Andrew Hennessy, Paco Diaz, Nolan Woodard, Rachelle Rosenberg, Cory Petit (Marvel Comics)
- Black Panther, by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Brian Stelfreeze, Chris Sprouse, Walden Wong, Karl C. Story, Laura Martin, Matt Milla, Joe Sabino, Clayton Cowles (Marvel Comics)
- DC Comics Bombshells, by Marguerite Bennett, Laura Braga, Sandy Jarrell, Maria Laura Sanapo, Mirka Andolfo, Pasquale Qualano, Marguerite Sauvage, Juan Albarran, Kelly Diane Fitzpatrick, J. Nanjan, Jeremy Lawson, Wendy Broome, Wes Abbott (DC Comics)
- Kim & Kim, by Magdalene Visaggio, Eva Cabrera, Claudia Aguirre, Zakk Saam, Taylor Esposito (Black Mask Studios)
- Love is Love, anthology originated by Marc Andreyko (IDW Publishing, DC Comics)
- Lumberjanes, by Shannon Watters, Kat Leyh, Carey Pietsch, Ayme Sotuyo, Carolyn Nowak, Maarta Laiho, Aubrey Aiese (BOOM! Studios)
- Midnighter and Midnighter and Apollo, by Steve Orlando, David Messina, Aco, Hugo Petrus, Fernando Blanco, Gaetano Carlucci, Romulo Fajardo, Jr., Jeremy Cox, Tom Napolitano, Josh Reed (DC Comics)
- Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!, by Kate Leth, Brittney L. Williams, Natasha Allegri, Megan Wilson, Rachelle Rosenberg, Clayton Cowles (Marvel Comics)
- Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples, Fonografiks (Image Comics)
- The Woods, by James Tynion IV, Michael Dialynas, Josan Gonzalez, Ed Dukeshire (BOOM! Studios)
This is a pretty awesome list, and you all should definitely check out these books when you get a chance. If 2016 was able to give us such a great selection, imagine what 2017 might have in store for us. To see what else got nominated, visit the GLAAD website.