Legion of Leia had the pleasure of being invited to attend the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales press junket where we got a chance to learn more about what happened behind the scenes of the movie and more about integral pieces of the storyline. Below I discuss the 10 things we learned from the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales junket.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales continues off years after Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. Instead of the film being a standalone much like On Stranger Tides, this film intersects the lives of Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann, and Jack Sparrow through the next generation.
- Kaya Scodelario broke her shoulder the week before filming the scene where she was being hung. She slipped on the Black Pearl while running from the bow to the stern.
- The boy who played Young Will Turner shot the scene with Will Turner in a tank. The boy did a lot of his own stunts during that scene. There were divers who assisted in case of emergency.
- Javier Bardem needed little convincing to join this installment of the franchise after observing the On Stranger Tides set.
- The real center of Captain Barbossa’s identity is in his hat. Without his hat, Geoffrey Rush did not feel like himself as Barbossa.
- It was a balancing act for Bardem to portray Salazar because there was a need to bring a fun and whimsy that would keep the character from being too dark for kids to enjoy.
- The bank heist scene was done with practical sets and minimal CGI. Very impressive considering how many stunts like that involve CGI nowadays.
- It took about 3 hours for Bardem to go through the makeup process of becoming Salazar. They applied a glue like substance on his face before they applied the prosethetic or “chicken breasts” as he referred to it.
- The name Hector supposedly came from Johnny Depp mentioning it in an interview. After that, the name sort of stuck with Barbossa.
- We get more of an explanation behind the compass. The compass defines Jack Sparrow. Jack Sparrow is a freewheeling, adventure loving person and goes where the compass points him to.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is now out in theaters and it is great fun. If you want to know what Legion of Leia thought about the film, please check out our review here.