Ron Howard Talks About Assuming Director Duties on Han Solo
“I’ve been a fan forever,” said Ron Howard, who spoke earlier today at the Cannes Lions advertising and media conference. He’s talking about taking over director duties on Lucasfilm’s untitled Han Solo film after previous directors Phil Lord and Christoper Miller left the project mid-production due to “artistic differences” earlier this week. “It’s gratifying to be asked to lend my voice to the [Star Wars] universe,” he continued.
“It’s a little opportunity that came my way,” Howard said when asked by panel moderator Sir Martin Sorrell, founder and CEO of WPP.
Disney’s Lucasfilm officially announced on Thursday that Howard would finish making the spin-off anthology film after Kathleen Kennedy fired Lord and Miller for going off-script too much with comedic touches.
The Han Solo film was already three-fourths complete when Lord and Miller got the boot. Shooting will resume with Howard at the helm this July 10. Five weeks worth of reshoots already have been scheduled for later this year.
“So many people involved in the ‘Star Wars’ franchise are friends,” Howard said. “It’s already been in production, and there’s a lot of really great work there.”
While the production has taken a bit of a stumble this week, the Han Solo flick is still scheduled to release on May 25, 2018.